Pages

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Briefly

I've really been neglecting not only this blog, but the things that are supposed to be feeding it: reading academically, reflecting on my own teaching, and figuring out the PhD-or-Not question. As such, I have very little to say, except to lay out some tentative plans, like:

a. Tentative plan to interview Suresh Canagarajah for the Other Journal's education issue.

b. Yesterday, I read "Mixers lyricing in Hinglish " by Y. Kachru, which was an inspiration in terms of studying pop music from a World Englishes perspective. (Also heard a Chinese pop song, which after a quick Googling seems to be "你的甜蜜," on the radio, which included a repetition of the English phrase "Sorry doesn't mean anything.")

c. Today I bought volume three in the Collected Works of MAK Halliday, (Language and Linguistics) which I was surprised to find at my local Xinhua Bookstore! They actually have a pretty good selection of scholarly stuff in English.

d. I want to put together a proposal for this conference, something on American rock critics' perceptions of Lonely China Day (and/or other bands as relevant). I'd also really love to get a job at the university hosting the conference.

More soon, with any luck...

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Hi. I found your blog on a google search and you seem to be doing some interesting work. I'm in a Lit MA program and am taking a linguistics course and want to do some work comparing the semantics at work in "commercial" pop with those in "indie/alt/college" scene. I have some rough hypotheses and a few ideas for methodology, but was wondering if you have any experience in these sorts of studies. Don't feel obligated to reply and keep up the good work.

10:10 PM

Joel said...

Yeah, let's talk! I am really just getting started with this stuff myself, but it'd be great to share some ideas.

My email address can be found on my other blog, http://unscene.blogspot.com, on the sidebar's "email me" link.