If anything suggests that there is a Chinese English, or at least that "performance" writing for the CET is a genre unto itself, it is this set of prompts:
01. "Education is expensive, but the consequences of a failure to educate, especially in an increasingly globalized world, are even more expensive." Write an essay of approximately 300 words on this issue to state your own opinion.
02. Some people think that education is a life-long process, while others don’t agree. Write an essay to state your own opinion.
03. Nowadays, people have paid more and more attention to degree certificates. For example, in many institutions, one’s promotion is primarily decided by whether one has obtained a graduate degree or not. A growing number of critics say that if this tendency goes to the extreme, young people may be misled. A degree certificate can reflect only one’s academic achievements but not all abilities essential for successful career. Write an essay of approximately 300 words on this issue to state your own opinion.
04. An African proverb says "If you educate a boy, you educate an individual; if you educate a girl, you educate a family and a nation." Do you agree with this proverb? Write an essay of approximately 300 words on this issue to state your own opinion.
05. Computer games are very popular among children. However, some people think that computer games have produced more negative effects than positive ones on children's physical, intellectual as well as psychological development. Therefore, they suggest that effective measures should be taken to prevent children from playing them. Write an essay to state your own opinion.
06. Does modern technology make life more convenient, or was life better when technology was simpler? Write an essay to state your own opinion.
07. Some people think that the animals should be treated as pets, while others think that animals are resources of food and clothing. What is your opinion?
08. In the western world, if a family member has got a cancer, his/her family members must tell him/her about it frankly. If not, it would be regarded as being illegal. But in the Chinese culture, a common practice is not to tell the patient the truth. Some people think that this traditional practice must be changed along with the development of modernization. Write an essay of approximately 300 words on this issue to state your own opinion.
09. It is right that college graduates earn higher salaries than the less well-educated in the community. But they should also pay the full cost of their study. Do you agree or disagree?
10. Some people think that famous people are treated unfairly by the media, and they should they be given more privacy, while some others think that this is the price of their fame. Write an essay to state your own opinion.
11. Many people say that we have developed into a “throw-away society”, because we are filling up our environment with so many plastic bags and rubbish that we cannot fully dispose of. To want extent do you agree with this opinion and what measures can you recommend to reduce this problem.
12. Many people think that work nowadays is more stressful and less leisurely than in the past. What is your opinion?
13. Nowadays men are becoming more and more greedy and selfish. We should return to older, traditional values and show respect for family and local community. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
14. Nowadays, we are advised by environmentalists to use electronic cards instead of paper cards for holiday greetings. However, some people think that electronic cards do not have the same flavor of paper cards and do not display the same function, either. Write an essay to state your own opinion.
15. Some people say the government shouldn't put money on building theaters and sports stadiums; they should spend more money on medical care and education. Do you agree or disagree? State the reasons for your view.
16. Nowadays senior high school students are totally tired of various kinds of examinations given by their teachers in preparing for the future college entrance examinations. It is generally agreed that this kind of examination system has destroyed students’ creative thinking abilities and hindered their all-round development. However, the views on how to remedy the situation are various. Some people suggest that this type of examination system should be abolished completely while others think the abolishment of the examination system will bring about more problems than solutions. For example, without a national entrance examination, we will have problems of privileges and discrimination. Write an essay of approximately 300 words on this issue to state your own opinion.
17. Some people think the university education is to prepare students for employment. Others think it has other functions. Discuss and say what other functions you think it should have.
18. Some sport events such as the World Cup may help reduce the tension and bias between different countries and keep the peace of the world. What is your opinion?
19. The brain drain is a serious problem in developing countries. Some people think the reason for losing the most precious resources is the governments’ poor policy. If the governments in the developing countries face up to the new reality, this problem can be alleviated. However, some people think that the brain drain is a universal phenomenon. No matter whatever measures the government takes, the problem of the brain drain cannot be solved. Write an essay of approximately 300 words on this issue to state your own opinion.
20. Traffic and housing problems in major cities would be solved by moving big companies, factories and their employees to the countryside. Do you agree or disagree?
21. Which skill of English is more important for Chinese learners? Some people think that we should give priority to reading in English, while others think speaking is more important. Write an essay to state your own opinion.
22. Nowadays, electronic dictionaries (E-dictionaries) have been increasingly popular among students. However, teachers think that the overuse of E-dictionaries might have more disadvantages than advantages for English learning. For example, like the use of calculator affecting the skill of calculating, reliance on E-dictionaries may lead to the deteriorating of our spelling ability. Write an essay of approximately 300 words on this issue to state your own opinion.
23. Some people think children should learn to compete， but others think that children should be taught to cooperate. Express some reasons of both views and give your own opinion.
24. Will modern technology, such as the internet ever replace the book or the written word as the main source of information? Write an essay to state your own opinion.
25. Young people are important resources to their country. But governments may ignore some problems faced by young people in running the country. By your experience, what do the government need to do for supporting or helping young people? Show these problems and give your ideas or suggestions to solve this issue.
WHERE IS #26!!!??!?!?